Explainer Videos: A Modern Day Elevator Pitch
An explainer video production is a great way to briefly introduce a product, service or even your company. Oftentimes, they are a great way to describe how a new idea/concept works. We differentiate your explainer video through the power of digital cinema.
What Are Explainer Videos and Why Invest In Them?
Think of an explainer video as a tried and true elevator pitch. What would you say to a prospect if all you had was 60-90 seconds to tell them about your amazing product or service? Typically, explainer videos:
- Succinctly demonstrate the value proposition of a product or service.
- Keep messaging to a very high level, covering just key features or ideas.
- Only cover a handful of core concepts.
- Though not always, they are often animated.
Explainer video productions often involve scripted messaging — conveyed through voice narration and onscreen text/graphics.
What Are Best Practices For An Explainer Video Production?
Here are some general principles to consider when planning your next explainer video:
- Know your target audience.
- Define your key messaging, takeaways, or call-to-action.
- Less is more. Avoid the temptation to say too much.
- A running time of 60-90 seconds is typical.
- Simplicity over complexity. Focus on the key takeaways.
- Be authentic. Stay true to your brand.
An explainer video production is a great conversation starter. Remember, this is your elevator pitch, not your entire company history. Be succinct and have some fun with it.
What Is The Process For Creating An Explainer Video?
Like any video production, you’ll follow a linear flow from Pre-Production, to Production, and through to Post-Production:
- Define your target audience, key messaging, and tone.
- Select a storytelling style (ie. custom filming or animation) that best suits your defined goals.
- Read your script out loud to determine likely duration. For reference, a 90-second script is typically 225 words or less.
- For animated videos, storyboards are critical.
- Record a professional voice narration.
- Animate your video.
Most explainer videos are animated. Take the time to research YouTube and Vimeo for examples you like and that serve as inspiration for your effort.
How Can I Differentiate My Explainer Video Production?
Explainer videos have exploded over the past few years, so the market is becoming saturated with them around every corner, To make yours standout, consider a cinematic approach:
- Keep the message simple and focus on the emotion you want your audience to feel. Audiences rarely remember facts but do remember feelings.
- Cast professional voice talent versus an employee.
- Vector animation is overdone. Consider photo-based animation, a hybrid piece (animation + live action), 3D animation, and other creative treatments that are not as common. This will help engage your audiences.
- Add sound design to elevate the experience and immersion with your video.
Take a deeper dive into these topics and more by exploring how Richter Studios can differentiate your explainer video by clicking the link below.
Your team goes above and beyond to create something special.
“This project was challenging, but the final animation is outstanding. The creative concept, art direction, preview examples and execution were all fabulous. The team at Richter Studios goes above and beyond to create something special — it’s what makes Richter Studios one of the best animation companies in Chicago.”
Katie Twohy | ClearEdge Marketing
Facts About Video Production By Richter Studios
The master craftsmen at Richter Studios have developed over 11,000 "films" over 23 years. Our portfolio has won over 60 international awards.
Companies which are a good fit to retain Richter Studios have a deep affinity for creative excellence. We seek to build lasting partnerships that inspire our creative team to develop powerful video and animation solutions for our clients. Our pricing structure reflects the craftsmanship which has been featured at the world's most celebrated red carpet events.
How Long Does It Take To Produce A Video?
It often depends on the style of the video production that you'd like to pursue. An instructional video, trade show video, or social media video can take as little as 4-6 weeks. Larger productions — like brand films or commercials — can take 8-12 weeks.
How Much Does It Cost To Produce A Video?
An animation-based explainer video can cost as little as $15K. Productions that require custom filming — like corporate videos or testimonial videos — typically begin around $25K. Larger productions — like brand films or commercials — which require multiple days of filming, aerial cinematography, or sophisticated animations often range between $50K to $100K. If you have an established budget, we can also work backwards to find the creative approach that's right for you. Repeat clients enjoy more flexible rates and priority scheduling.
What Do I Need To Do To Get Started With Richter Studios?
The easiest way to get started is to visit our contact page and fill out a brief form. You can also call us by phone at (312) 861-9999 or chat with our representatives directly from this page. Once we learn more about your project, we'll prepare a formal proposal outlining our approach with a line item cost.
Looking for some great explainer video examples?
Each of these clients leveraged our explainer video production services. No two productions are exactly the same but we encourage you to explore our portfolio to view examples of similar work or to find inspiration for your next video production.